Saturday 29 September 2012

Podium Cake

Hellooo! I know i'm just a tad bit late on the Olympics front but I made Podium Cake.  I'm just gonna say it's to celebrate Valerie Adams finally receiving her gold medal a little over a week ago YAY!

Here is a screen shot of what the entire cake looks like in my bakery.  I decided to decorate and photograph the whole cake this time because it has a few different decorative elements and it would've been weird for me to just fondant a little slice of cake haha.

So this is my Podium Cake.  I've never worked with fondant before so this was quite fun for me.  I guess I cheated because I used a ready-to-roll packet of fondant but moulding all the elements and putting them all together in the end took ages for me (or maybe i'm just really slow haha).

I started off by making a double batch of a basic vanilla cake, split the batter into two bowls and then coloured one with pink food colouring and the other with blue.  I baked them separately and left them to cool completely.  
After the cakes had cooled, I cut them up and arranged them into the appropriate levels to resemble the podiums.  I made a basic buttercream frosting to sandwich the two different coloured cakes together and coated the whole cake structure with the buttercream so that the fondant would have something to stick to.  
The fondant is quite easy to mould, it's like working with playdough.  I bought a plain white fondant and coloured it with gel colouring.  I find gel colours the easiest to work with because you only need a small amount for an intense colour (I think normal food colouring might affect the consistency of the fondant too, i'm not too sure).
I looked up tutorial videos on YouTube to learn how to make the flowers and with the rest, I sort of winged it LOL.
I like how fondant give cakes such a nice finish and there is so much you can do with it.  It's no that nice to eat though haha.

Next week: Pecan Pie

♡ B

No comments:

Post a Comment